The childbearing year is not only challenging for mom but for her partner as well – the physical and especially emotional stresses of conceiving, carrying, birthing and having a child are very much shared by the dad/ birthing partner. Massage therapy is therefore encouraged for dads/ birthing partners as they can benefit from treatments as much as moms can.
Benefits of massage therapy for dads/ partners include:
- Reduction of stress & anxiety
- Relief from musculoskeletal aches & pains
- Improved blood & lymphatic circulation
- Strengthened immune system
- Reduced fatigue by eliminating waste products through the lymphatic & circulatory systems
- Improved sleep; deeper sleep for longer periods
- Stabilization of hormone levels
- Stimulation of the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killer
- Stimulation of the release of oxytocin, the body’s ‘feel good hormone’
Frequency/Length of Visits
Massage therapy for dads/ partners is useful at any time during the childbearing year, from preconception through to the postpartum period, as well as throughout parenthood. If you have any unusual health concerns, please consult with your primary healthcare provider PRIOR to your first massage visit. For dads/ partners, massage treatments are recommended once every 4 – 6 weeks.
As for length of treatments, sixty minutes is ideal but any amount of time will do— frequent shorter visits seem to be more beneficial than less frequent longer visits.