Many people are afflicted by some form of digestive disorder – whether they are aware of it or not. Our bodies are so good at managing symptoms of a disease process by diminishing the severity our symptoms and making us think that what we are feeling is nothing major and in time will ‘go away’. What is actually happening though (by not listening to what your body is trying to tell you with these small triggers that are annoying but tolerable) is the development of a long term issue that likely has become much more serious than if it had of been dealt with when symptoms first appeared – this is the process in which chronic diseases, such as digestive disorders, occur.
Research has shown that several massage therapy techniques & treatments are effective at reducing the symptoms of digestive problems associated with chronic conditions such as Constipation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, & Inflammatory Bowel Disease (including Ulcerative Colitis & Crohn’s Disease).
Lifestyle factors contributing to digestive disorders include poor diet or fluid intake, sedentary lifestyle, stress & postural imbalances. Some physiological factors include food intolerances, poor muscle control/tone of the smooth of the digestive system or pelvic floor, medication side effects, surgery effects, pregnancy, or some other underlying disorder. No matter what the cause though, massage therapy can be an effective tool at managing symptoms of all digestive disorders.
Benefits of massage therapy for sufferers of digestive disorders:
- Drug-free natural relief of symptoms such as cramping, bloating, nausea, gas, & constipation
- Stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system, relieving stress/anxiety & encouraging digestion
- Decreased abdominal, gluteal, lumbar & thorax pain including reduced spasticity in tight muscles
- Improved range of motion reducing postural imbalances that may be contributing to symptoms
- Improved breathing patterns (to encourage relaxation & help movement of food through bowels)
- Reduced congestion & improved circulation of fluids in the abdomen
- Stimulation of peristalsis (the involuntary muscle contractions of the digestive tract)
- Improved movement of food through the digestive tract & excretion of fluids & protein waste products
- Better uptake of digestive enzymes & nutrients from food, improving digestion & overall health
Digestive disorders can affect a person indefinitely so are best treated by controlling the symptoms. By simply reducing ones triggers (such as intolerable foods, lack of proper fluids or exercise, & STRESS) individuals see major reductions of symptoms and improved health in general – and massage is actually one of the most effective therapies for helping you to do so!
Our Registered Massage Therapists at Calm Massage Therapy & Wellness Studio Ltd. are knowledgeable in (& have experience treating) different digestive disorders afflicting our population – they also can provide nutrition tips & exercises that may be helpful in dealing with them. Our studio is a small, nicely decorated & tranquil environment in which one can relax & unwind. Let us show you how much of a difference massage therapy can make and show you how you can live a healthier, happier, & calmer life!